Workshop and Hymn Festival on Congregational Singing and Building Community
October 5-6, 2019
The Singing Network presents Sing Together! – a two-day workshop/festival focusing on the use of congregational song to build community within the context of a worship service. The workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to learn basic congregational singing skills and techniques, challenge participants to think more deeply about the importance of and potential for congregational song in building community within the church, and connect participants to resources and organizations designed to develop congregation song within faith communities.
Sing Together! will consist of three components:
- SATURDAY, October 5, 2019 (9:30am – 2:30pm) MUN School of Music Suncor Hall. WORKSHOP, including a choral reading session with scores from Choristers Guild
- SUNDAY, October 6, 2019 (10:30am – noon) WORSHIP SERVICE at St. Thomas’ Church during which various components of the workshop will be incorporated
- SUNDAY, October 6, 2019 (3:00pm – 4:30pm) St. Thomas’ Church. HYMN FESTIVAL during which innovative approaches to collective/community singing will be explored
- Thomas Wesley Moore
- Josh Zentner-Barrett
- anyone interested in leading worship through collective singing
- church choir directors
- church choir choristers
- clergy/faith leaders
- students (music, music education, religious studies, theology)
- everyone who enjoys singing together
All are welcome! Participation is free of charge!
Congregational singing and song has extraordinary potential for engaging groups of diverse populations through community singing. Come and join us for these two exciting days of workshops and festival of singing! All voices are welcome – any age, ability, and musical experience!
Participants will need to register for various components of the 2 days (for planning purposes). Further details and a registration form will be available soon.