Workshop and Hymn Festival on Congregational Singing and Building Community
The Singing Network in collaboration with SING! The Center for Congregational Song, Bruneau Centre for Excellence in Choral Music (BCECM), and St. Thomas’ Church
October 5-6, 2019
The Singing Network presents Sing Together! – a two-day workshop/festival focusing on the use of congregational song to build community within the context of a worship service. The workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to learn basic congregational singing skills and techniques, challenge participants to think more deeply about the importance of and potential for congregational song in building community within the church, and connect participants to resources and organizations designed to develop congregation song within faith communities.
Sing Together! will consist of three components:
- SATURDAY, October 5, 2019 (9:30am – 2:30pm) MUN School of Music Suncor Hall. WORKSHOPS, including a choral reading session with scores from Choristers Guild
- SUNDAY, October 6, 2019 (10:30am – noon) WORSHIP SERVICE at St. Thomas’ Church during which various components of the workshop will be incorporated
- SUNDAY, October 6, 2019 (3:00pm – 4:30pm) St. Thomas’ Church. HYMN FESTIVAL during which innovative approaches to collective/community singing will be explored
- Thomas Wesley Moore, Senior Pastor, Pollocksville Presbyterian Church, Pollocksville, North Carolina (USA)
- Josh Zentner-Barrett, Organist & Director of Music, Kanata United Church – Kanata, Ontario
- Session 1: Hymn anthem reading session (scores from Choristers’ Guild)
- Session 2: What are we singing? The context of our hymns, psalms, and spiritual songs
- Session 3: Risking it all: The songs that make us uncomfortable
- Session 4: Effective leadership for congregational singing
- anyone interested in leading worship through collective singing
- church choir directors
- church choir choristers
- clergy/faith leaders
- students (music, music education, religious studies, theology)
- everyone who enjoys singing together
All are welcome! Participation is free of charge!
Congregational singing and song has extraordinary potential for engaging groups of diverse populations through community singing. Come and join us for these two exciting days of workshops and festival of singing! All voices are welcome – any age, ability, and musical experience!
In order to plan for the Saturday Workshop and the Hymn Festival, we would like for folks to register, using this Registration Form. You can register as an individual or for a group (e.g., a choir director can register for choristers in his/her choir).
We would appreciate your registering by FRIDAY, October 4, 2019 @ 12 noon, if possible. However, if you don’t… JOIN US ANYWAY and tell others to come along as well!